Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Okra Winfrey.



Have you heard of Edward Everett? He gave the other Gettysburg Address. The one before Lincoln gave the real one. He spent weeks researching military reports so he could re-create the battle step by step.  He drew comparisons to the war between the states and war in Greek antiquity. 
It was said his two hour speech moved the crowd to tears. 
I'm thinking they needed to take a leak and were hemmed in by the throngs of people craning to hear.
Lincoln stepped up and delivered a 272 word speech he drafted riding the train out from DC. He never mentioned Gettysburg, the Union, or slavery. 
In one of the many books devoted entirely to his three minute speech, it was said that Lincoln transcended historical particulars and wove a spell that has yet to be broken. 


Motivational speakers stick in my craw. They are about one nauseating click off the tripe I read on  Daily Strength.  I hear them and feel just as patronized.  These guys are not speaking to me. They are talking to the thirty year old virgin who has a cot in his mothers basement and his father buried in the crawl space of her pier and beam.
 Imagine being liberated from the concentration camp at Auschwitz, and instead of some hot food they gave you a hug told you that a smile is the light in your window that tells others that there is a caring sharing person inside.
My slogan would be, "If I could transport myself through fiber optics, I would choke the living shit out of you and shove your $499 ten CD issue of living life large up your fat ass.
It's not that I am against positive daily affirmation. It's the other 59 butt numbing minutes I can do without. 
That and paying $250 to burn the living shit out of my feet. I did that for free at the BBQ last fourth of July. 

The problem with applying slogan mentality to the war with our narcissist is that slogans are band aids that allow us to live a horrible life for one more day. It allows us to confuse motion with action. It allows us to continue a life no one else would tolerate for a second.
No one is walking in your shoes but you. Not your siblings. Not your confidants at work. And surely not some platitude spouting, quick fix for all that ails you cash register jockey.
No one, and I mean no one, knows what it is like to live under the yoke of narcissism. 
Except someone who has.   
It's not going to get better.
Quit while you are ahead. 




  




18 comments:

Calibans Sister said...

Q--now this post is brilliant. First, I laughed. Then I didn't cry. Then, when I read the last paragraph, I tipped my proverbial hat at the skill of a gifted writer. Got any Twain in your bloodstream?

q1605 said...

You are faster than the average bear. I just posted this.

Calibans Sister said...

yeah well you caught me online! And the title was irresistable. And, I am faster than the average bear.

q1605 said...

A lot of people don't know what okra is.

Calibans Sister said...

Okra is ruined over-cooked. So's Oprah.

Tundra Woman said...

sigh. Oprah is the only "Agree-to-disagree" subject I have with my best friend. I love Rita to pieces, 30 some years of war, famine, pestilence, men, kids, grands, parents later, we still talk every morning on the phone. Now it's basically to check and be sure we're both still alive.
Rita LOOOOVES Oprah. Now, I appreciate her accomplishments. Thought she was great in "The Color Purple." But when she started the school in Africa and Rita was all oohing-and aahhhing over this I had to speak up. Rita, why Africa? Why NOT Chi-town? The Motor City? Hot-Lanta? BECAUSE IT'S A HUGE TAX WRITE OFF, that's why. This is the SAME woman who "gave away" a bunch of (not) "free" vehicles to people who COULDN'T AFFORD 'EM. This woman gets worse "Financial Advice" than she would have if she'd asked a few questions at the local Credit Union. She hauls out a wheel-barrel of "fat" on stage and after phen-fen or what ever nearly killed a whole LOT more people, she's wearin' it again. Her new channel is tankin' faster than the Titanic and with a whole lot less drama because no one's watching anymore.
OK, scorch me now, folks. I've got my asbestos flame-proof haz-mat suit on.
Okra's good stuff.
TW

q1605 said...

I appreciate her accomplishments too. It's that revolving door of grifters she runs through her place that gets annoying.
Like Tony Robbins can transfer his can do spirit into your feet and have them defy the laws of thermodynamics.
Her channel is where I get most of my true crime fix. Outside of the retrospective works of the Barbarian.
Ah I am preaching to the converted.

Tundra Woman said...

Didn't a bunch of people just end up hospitalized with 2nd/3rd degree burns to their feet attempting the same thing?
I don't care whatcha say about fire or lightening: I've had nasty experiences with both-"Wrong place/wrong time." I tried "mind over matter" but that was no where as effective as narcotics, which fooled my mind into thinking it didn't matter-as much. I can't imagine doing something like that on purpose.
Maybe this is the reason why her venture isn't doing well if this guy is the quality of "talent" she's promoting. And really, that's too bad. I think she did do a lot of positive things for people. But it sounds like she's lost her way.
TW

q1605 said...

Narcotics grants you the best of both worlds.
Swallow a fist full of Vicodan and then you can walk on coals.
Just save a few for after care.

kam said...

I love the title to this post! I make bloody marys garnished with pickled okra spears. When I lived in Seattle and made these for friends, no one had heard of okra before.

One rather Q-like fellow dubbed them pickled Oprah, which stuck.

Tundra Woman said...

kam, Thanks for the idea! Sounds good to me!
TW

q1605 said...

I would love a bloody mary right about now. Just hold the tomato juice and the pickled okra.

Kara said...

Awesome post. Loved it. I love okra too, particularly in lamb curry.

Anonymous said...

She has billions, she gives away a trickle of money. I'm assuming of course, I don't know what the percentage is, but it seems fakey to me. Token tax write-offs or something.

The thing about living with an N is that they spend all their time trying to make everyone else feel screwed up and not okay about themselves. It's like waking up from an evil spell when you get away from them. Loving people don't try to hurt people 24/7.

Sis

q1605 said...

She's worth 2.7 billion. She's not as insufferable as some people on television. It's her choice of guests that nauseates me.
They are chumming the water with some sort of feel good slogan that doesn't rise to the level of sound bite.
Kara. You live in England right?
Okra has been a staple in the south forever. But until a decade or so ago people from the east and west coast here didn't quite know what to make of it.
I was in LA and wanted to buy some and was trying to explain what I was wanting to a clerk.
Blank slate.

Tundra Woman said...

I've had some challenging times with regional accents and ways of doing/being/food as well. When I moved south (civilization) to participate in the Medical Clinical trial (which I promptly "flunked" the day after I closed on a house) I met all kinds of great people. But we had a bit of a language "problem:" Someone asked for a "pin." I said, "Straight or safety?" They all responded with a puzzled look. I had no clue they were referring to a writing implement. The south also has great "greasy beans." Oh, the joy side fat and home-grown string beans! The okra-heavenly! Mmm...
Sis, there's always an agenda with an N. (Please note: I'm NOT speaking to Oprah, OK?) Their ability to take our finest human qualities and subvert them into some horrid nightmare to be utilized to terrorize us FOR YEARS is simply incredible. Clearly, they are not dealing with the same reality, similar values/morals/ethics to any other human life form is astounding, IMO. Their tenacity and lack of genuine care and concern are the longest legacies: They do us a number. And IMO, so do those who "promote" them whether it's those paying the "best" attorney, the most expensive PIs or the "au current guru."
TW

Kara said...

Yep, I live in England but I was born and grew up in Spain. Never knew that okra (or ginger) existed until I came here. Now I am addicted to both.

q1605 said...

Kara. This is for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm6qw_yeo6o