Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The most selfish suicide ever........ by Jim Goad.




It’s gotten to the point where every time that some crazed psycho deliberately crashes a plane into a mountain, some dimwitted enabler will rush to the smoldering crash site to explain that the poor guy who killed everyone was depressed. 
German and French investigators claim that last Tuesday, 27-year-old Andreas Lubitz purposely drove a Germanwings Airbus 320 smack-dab into a mountain in the French Alps, instantly killing himself  and 149 other passengers. If these investigators are correct, this was not only a suicide—it was a deliberate mass murder that killed far more people than any one-man shooting spree in history.
Several potential triggers were suggested for Lubitz’s fatal tantrum:
• The rumor that he was suffering from poor eyesight and would thus be gently squeezed out of his lifelong dream of becoming a full-time pilot with a major airline.
• Murmurings that he had chick problems with both a mistress who described him as volatile and a long-time girlfriend who also described him as volatile. The latter woman recently announced that she was pregnant with Lubitz’s child.
• The idea that Lubitz was a closeted homosexual who could no longer contain his secret and decided to kill a bunch of people, including himself, in a manner so theatrical that even Liberace would be jealous.
What is theorized so far is that Lubitz needed to take several conscious steps in order to ram that plane into that mountain and smash 150 human bodies into tomato paste:
“I never hear anyone excusing a mass murder because the perpetrator ‘suffered’ from anger.”
• He had to deliberately hide from his employers the fact that he’d received a sick note requiring him to stay home from work the day of the crash. German law requires employees to report such conditions to their employer, while it forbids employers to inquire. The sick note—which Lubitz had reportedly torn up—was for an “unspecified illness,” but several signs indicate he had been fighting depression and “burnout” for years. He had been prescribed antidepressants, as a police search of his apartment reportedly yielded “mountains of pills.” It’s unclear whether he’d been taking his medication prior to the crash.
• As the jet’s copilot, Lubitz had to wait until the main pilot excused himself from the cockpit to go to the bathroom. Then Lubitz had to deliberately flip a switch that locked the cockpit door.
• He then had to deliberately reset the plane’s altitude downward so that the aircraft was aimed like a missile at the mountains.
• He then had to deliberately ignore his pilot’s shouting and banging on the door. He had to do this for eight minutes. He sat there silently for eight minutes fully aware that he was about to kill 150 people.
To me, that sounds like Lubitz made a conscious series of choices, all of which were required for him to pull off this Cecil B. DeMille-sized production. If he’d avoided any single one of these choices, the plane could have landed safely and he would have been free to take his life without snatching the lives of 149 others. 
My connection and proximity to the suicide of a close family member is something I have never hid on this blog and my heart goes out to people suffering from depression. But your right to swing your metaphorically depressed fist ends at the bridge of my nose.
Some, though, insist he had no choice in the matter. They say he was “mentally ill”—specifically, that he was “suffering” from depression. And they claim that it was his “illness,” rather than his willfulness, that led to this gory death pyre in the mountains. “Would We Be Blaming Cancer for the death of Those people who perished in the Alp's?” blared an acutely stupid Huffington Post headline.
No, ya daffy bastard, “we” wouldn't be blaming cancer. That’s because cancer is a real disease. Depression, on the other hand, is a state of mind, one that is malleable depending on how one reacts to depressing circumstances in one’s life. What always gets lost in this endless quest to medicalize “depression” is not the mere fact that you’re depressed—it’s why you're depressed.
Depression is not an illness, it’s an emotion. Yet curiously, you never hear anyone describing anger—another emotion—as an illness. I never hear anyone excusing a mass murder because the perpetrator “suffered” from anger. If you’re depressed, though, you can’t help it. The Devil made you do it. But if you're angry, it’s all on you. It’s funny where people draw the line between biological determinism and free will.
Is it possible, though, that the psychoactive effects of antidepressants, rather than “depression,” played a part in Lubitz’s stony eight-minute plunge into that mountain? A depressingly high quotient of mass murderers  these days seem to gobble these little happy pills and then go on slaughtering sprees. So the pills may have played a role in Lubitz’s derangement.
Still, if the narrative that the investigators are currently peddling is true, he made plenty of choices, no matter how severely the pills may have doped him into inertia. That’s the problem when you blame the depression rather than the depressed person. The very idea that depression is a “disability” has the effect of disabling people from taking responsibility for their own choices. Convincing people that they have an “illness” rather than an emotional dilemma lessens their sense of control over the problem.
If a person wants to kill themselves, I suppose that’s their choice. Erasing oneself is probably the most self-indulgent thing someone can do. But when you drag other people into your suicide, it ceases to be so…libertarian? The children you financially strand and the loved ones you emotionally destroy have no choice in the matter. And on top of all that, deciding to drag 149 other people down with you into your sick miserable hole of self-loathing while you permanently scar thousands of other lives as a result? That’s a leap of selfishness as high as the French Alps.
It would be foolish to blame this incomprehensibly ghastly event on the inanimate phantom illness of “depression.” I think it makes more sense to blame it on the obvious culprit—one selfish depressed asshole who chose not only to act on his sadness, but to make it everyone else’s problem, too.


Please share this article by using the link below. When you cut and paste an article, Taki's Magazine misses out on traffic, and our writers don't get paid for their work. Email editors@takimag.com to buy additional rights.http://takimag.com/article/the_most_selfish_suicide_ever_jim_goad/print#ixzz3W5ukJJV6

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read Jim Goad for years. Wish someone would warn him about Knights of Malta pertaining to Pat Buchanan, but I digress. Still remember the book he wrote called Redneck Manifesto. He has a dirty mouth but had some good ideas. I believe they want to connect depression to extreme "take people with you" examples, so they can take all the guns away, basically at least 80% of the American population who has ever stepped foot into a counselor's office.

One thing if you want your mind blown google "crisis actors". I barely believe anything in the news anymore. If this guy really did this, he is burning in hell, depression or no depression.

q1605 said...

I will stand behind any body that doesn't pull punches for the sake of popularity. I don't think he'll ever be accused of selling out.

mulderfan said...

Aren't all mass murderers, or perhaps even murderers, mentally ill?
IMO depression is not an acceptable excuse for killing well over a hundred complete strangers but then I've never comprehended why some suicides have the need to take other people with them.
Many years ago a friend of mine was killed, and her three kids were seriously injured, when a woman suffering from postpartum depression killed herself and her two month old baby by ramming my friend's van with her car. I still can't get my head around it...never will, I guess.
Anon, the news reporting on this type of tragedy is disgusting especially CNN where the reporters can barely hide their delight when something like this happens.

Joan S said...

I just adds more shame for people with mental illness. If you have depression, people will think you are nuts and will try to kill them.

And it hides the evil of sociopaths.

This ain't good.

q1605 said...

Mulderfan that's what I keep trying to tell people. My mother was mentally ill. She did things only crazy people do things no one will ever hear about but she couls reel it in long enough to manipulate the system long enough to make the rest of us appear to be crazy while she hid it behind closed doors. What she did with her will is a good example. I bet a lot of people that knew my mother think I am the nuttiest fruitcake south of the Canadian border and I got what was coming to me. When n reality it was a regular guy who had so much of her he/I just snapped. The reason I think this is a letter my ex sent to my wife telling her if she left her kids around me she was a sick as me for leaving them with a guy that tortured his mother. THing is all my mother did was lie about us I never said a thing about my mother that wasn't as true as the day is long. I dared expose her for the nutbag she really is and for that I had to be punished.

q1605 said...

Joan I'll be back I can't write too much at one sitting.

Five Hundred Pound Peep said...

Crazy and evil is different from just mentally ill. I do think people make choices and this guy definitely as Goad wrote had to think things out. It was PREMEDITATED MURDER. Yes many of the crazy and evil narcs will unload the crazy onto a scapegoat. I may be writing soon about how I was labeled crazy more indepth and how this is a technique they use.

mulderfan said...

Yeah, my "immediate" family tells people I'm the nutbar. Extended family, that witnessed the whackjobs 1st hand know it's the other way around.
My parents had me so convinced I was nuts that I spent almost three years with a shrink who worked his ass off to make me understand I was the sane one who was completely stressed out from being surrounded by crazies.
The NGC is a classic! I'm not crazy..she is!

q1605 said...

It's so frustrating to watch and hear people that have been manipulated by crazy people who side with the nut. I mean there are people who know the truth behind my mothers criminal activity and that she drove my father to suicide that still condone her actions and don't mind calling me the f-up. I really shouldn't care but when it has been the norm for a lifetime it gets old. My ex didn't like me mother at all. but it was fun to talk me down to her long enough to have her payday with my mothers death. She hated my mother as much as anyone but being cut from the same clothe she could steal from me and my sister and feel good about doing it. The worst thing I did to my mother was go NC. The worst thing I did to my ex was divorce her after I found out she was hooking up with one of the neighbors. Someone needs to be held accountable somewhere. But it always seems to be me.

q1605 said...

And like Joan says it makes all depressed people look bad and blurs the line between evil connects them to sociopaths. If there is a message in my blog and in the long run It is that just because someone looks and acts normal, doesn't mean you should leave your wallet lying around where they can be alone with it.

Joan S said...

It is painful to hear the family slander you. I'm new to it, and it caused a little depression to take over. But I think it is just another form of galighting, lying. And the flying monkeys need it to keep up the campaign. Otherwise it all falls apart.

It is the only way they can side with the nut.

q1605 said...

My mother had a Blanche Dubois affect to her which made her look like little bow peep. It took me fifty years to finally figure her out. And people on the periphery either don't know or they don't want to know. My mother's neighbor talked to my sister and told her what a disgrace it was for my ex to come in and commandeer my mothers affects and forgo a funeral etc etc etc but she couldn't be bothered to pick up a phone and call either me or my sister and tell us there was something not right going on down there. So in that respect it's just that more confounding. Well now she has my crazy ex to deal with.

mulderfan said...

Joan, in the movie "Gaslighting" the husband does exactly what our families did to us. He tried to convince his wife that she was crazy.
For me, it was game over when, assuming they were right and I WAS crazy, I consulted a psychiatrist who told me the exact opposite was true.
Of course this doesn't prevent the gaslighters from convincing outsiders that we're nuts. Fortunately I no longer give a single f**k!

Joan S said...

So I've been depressed lately, so I'm going to go drive into oncoming traffic. Not!

Anna Valerious one of her last articles covers suicide and that they are homicidal too.

q1605 said...

What gets me is how little it would have taken for them to be normal. Last time I checked they had sex and got themselves pregnant I would have rather not been born if they didn't want to give me/us the basics

Joan S said...

Yeah, I know. Life has been a nightmare and I wouldn't want to have gone through what I did ever again.

Joan S said...

Yes, mulderfan, I'm working on it. I spent a lifetime hearing others being slandered, guess its my turn now, I guess its an honor too.

Pandora Viltis said...

True story, my husband had never heard the term gaslighting before a few weeks ago when we were listening to the book Girl on the Train and I commented that one character was doing it to another.

Anyway, when news reports started flinging the "depression" excuse around for the plane crash, I was muttering, that's murder, not depression. That's some serious repressed rage going on.

q1605 said...

Yeah I figured during all those years that my mother gave two shits about me. Little did I know I was the scapegoat of last resort.