Monday, January 11, 2016

Shameless


I so love when there are actors and scripts that are so convincing that they do an ACON bloggers job for them.
This is a clip from the showtime series "Shameless." In this scene Fiona.... (Emma Rossum) is in the office of Child Protective Services in Chicago trying to regain custody of her brothers and sisters and get to the bottom of who made an anonymous call that resulted in all her brothers and sisters being taken from their house and put into foster homes. The call was made by her father who is an alcoholic and absentee parent. They got so disgusted with him that they took him and his drunk ass out and threw him in a dumpster. To retaliate he made an "anonymous"call  that resulted in all the brothers and sisters being parceled out to people who lived in even worse conditions than they did. In this scene the case worker told Fiona that she had to take a bathroom break and to be sure and NOT click on this audio file marked with their last name. Which was her way of telling Fiona that if she accidentally played this audio it would just be too bad.  And that she can't be held responsible for what happened when she was away from her desk. Watch the expression on her face as she starts with this inquisitive look and how it morphs into recognition as she hears her fathers voice and then change from recognition to a mixed look of fury and disgust. She now knows it was her father that cost them untold thousands for lawyers and the undoing of everything she busts her ass every day to keep  together. And that he did it all for shits and giggles.
Remember as he tells the case worker about the shitty parent there, he is actually talking about himself. Literally.
I am sure everyone reading this has had a similar moment when the narc gave them that straw that broke the camels back. I think this clip shows that perfect storm of denial and enabling and that bottom line of "even this bastard won't sell his own hard working kids down the river like that". Which is exactly what he did the first chance he got. 

15 comments:

Judith said...

There should be a dumpster for shitty parents.

Great clip.

q1605 said...

Judith it would spill over into the street. To quote another movie......you need a license to buy a dog, or drive a car. Hell, you need a license to catch a fish! But they'll let any asshole be a father.

Judith said...

What movie is that quote from? I feel like I should know it.

q1605 said...

It's from Parenthood. When Diane weist gets Kanau Reeves to talk to her son about sex.
I cleaned it up for public display.
This is the uncut version.
Helen: It sounds like a boy Garry's age needs a man around the house.
Tod: Well, it depends on the man. I had a man around. He used to wake me up every morning by flicking lit cigarettes at my head. He'd say, "Hey, asshole, get up and make me breakfast." You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, or drive a car. Hell, you need a license to catch a fish! But they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father.

Jonsi said...

Parenthood: Thumbs up. I saw that flick a couple of years ago and there were some great insights in it.

Agree with Judith - great clip. I've never heard of the movie, but it intrigues me.

Jonsi said...

...

This is my son, Cool.

q1605 said...

I think it's one of Steve Martin's finest. The whole cast are a bunch of fine actors

Judith said...

Yes! Parenthood! I love that movie. I just watched part of it on tv the other day. The prodigal son played by Tom Hulce always makes me angry for some reason.

q1605 said...

Hulce is great, he plays a toadie lawyer in fearless as he tries to sue the airline that crashed and he played Mozart with just the right amount of swish in Amadeus. Not to mention his role in Animal House.

q1605 said...


But yes that's my least famous role for him. I used a clip of him being rolled out of a moving car and used the caption "my mother dropping me off at school". Which was not too far from the truth. She dropped me AND my sister off at many a school with only the instruction to find the office and ask/tell someone that you are new in town and they'll get you registered. What a huge pair of balls on a woman. That would never happen today.

Judith said...

He was great in Amadeus. I liked F Murray Abhrams, but I felt Hulce deserved more credit than he got in that role.

Judith said...

And geez, wasn't Saleri a real malignant narcissist in that movie!

q1605 said...

Last night I saw a special on the wives and court of King Henry the 8th. My mom did her best but even she couldn't match the power struggles and duplicity that they were into.

q1605 said...

And right before the special about King Henry the 8th. They had a special about how hard wired it is into mother elephants in the wild to protect the young of the pack. And how they band together to protect the new born's even if their mother got killed. So the lesson I got from it was that elephants are more intelligent than Narcissistic mothers.

Five Hundred Pound Peep said...

Elephants sound more intelligent then humans in general on that score.