Friday, July 29, 2016

Nice Shot



 I was watching a documentary about DJ AM (Adam Goldstein)  and about how Goldstein who was clean and sober for close to a decade but relapsed and ultimately died from an overdose after dealing unsuccessfully with the PTSD and survivors guilt he suffered after he survived a plane crash that took the lives of four of his friends. The guy turns to the camera and asks the interviewer and the audience if they know of anyone who survived a plane crash? Because I don't! Adam is the only person I know! And one of his old councilors said something that made me think. He was bringing up people like Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain to give Goldstein's life and death the substance and gravity it deserves to be given and he says people lose sight of the fact that those stars were real people. People that really lived, and people that really died.  It's hard for people to make that leap. That we aren't speaking of some derelict stranger from across town. This was a real person we are referring to. That what for me was real and had consequences that were real, and I paid them and we are all living breathing creatures and not some actors in a movie. My life was not some game for anyone even though the sociopaths in my life made it into a cheap game for a cheap thrill. Those gunshots were real. That blood was real. The graves smelled of freshly opened earth and Adam really died. And for us it's not an abstract idea.... it really happened. I know most people logically understand that, but people have a tendency to view tragedy in others lives like some war in a foreign country.  And the body count doesn't represent real people. Or people that matter.  As long as the depraved sociopaths make it a game, a game is what it will remain.  We are all complicit if we let them get away with it. Which they will  as long as people turn a blind eye and don't call the sociopath out for their behavior when you see them doing something reprehensible. 

8 comments:

Tundra Woman said...

They know-and then duck and cover leaving you in the crosshairs.
They wouldn't admit it but as long as you were the one taking the hits, it wasn't them so everything's fine in their world.
TW

q1605 said...

Dozens' of people could have stopped my mother and my ex wife. But the number of people who actually made a move to stop them remains zero.

q1605 said...

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality. Desmond Tutu

q1605 said...

It's not that often I watch a documentary and find my self so invested in the subject. More so because his music is the antithesis of what I like and what I grew up listening to, but this guy just radiated coolness. Not cool but he was a really nice guy. He was very involved with AA and would do anything he could to help people get sober. It seems that everyone watched him crash and burn a second time rather than get him help when helping him would have been to cut themselves off from the night life he was involved with. So rather than mitigate their own behavior and potentially limit their access to the night life he was surrounded by, they basically stood back and watched him destroy himself.

mulderfan said...

Same here. Just had a heart rending conversation with my daughter who was sobbing about us having no family. Actually, we have family but they fucked me over so badly I want nothing to do with them and know they'd love to get their hooks into her for the sole reason of fucking her over too.
I feel responsible! Maybe if I'd just sucked it up and let them figuratively beat the shit outta me, my kid would have a family but at what cost to either one of us?

q1605 said...

You just have to reinforce the point that you are looking out for her and protecting her. It sucks having no family but not nearly as sucky as always looking over your shoulder and waiting for the next shoe to drop. It's good to not know what you don't know because that indicates her innocence is still intact. If she gets unbridled exposure to them she won't even have that. Innocence is the first casualty of dealing with people that are criminally insane.

Joan S said...

I hate the flying monkeys. Unfortunately, I'm starting to think that's everyone in the world.

q1605 said...

My grandfather had a saying about people patting you on the back and pissing down your pants leg. I don't think he knew his daughter was a world class monkey.