Saturday, August 6, 2016

How psychopaths view their world.

Most psychopaths are very arrogant and cocky. However, when charming  a potential victim, they say all the "right" things and make you  believe they are kind-hearted souls; not always, but often enough.  The truth is, psychopaths are not altruistic and do not really care  about friendships or ties. Guggenbuhl-Craig states that they are very talented at appearing much more humble than the average person, but  are hardly so. Some are also able to feign concern about the lower  classes and profess that they are on the side of the underdog, the  poor, and so forth. A psychopath may claim, for instance (if he's  from a low socio-economic class), that he dislikes rich people  intensely, but at the same time, he will inwardly yearn and envy what  they have. He is like the narcissist, desiring to reflect a false  image of himself through his possessions. Among his possessions are  included human beings: girlfriends, wives, and children. Some psychopaths can even very fond of animals (contrary to the common  viewpoint), but still view them as objects in relation to themselves.
The psychopath is filled with greed inside, relating to the world  through power, even though, as I said, on the outside he can claim to  be on the side of the disenfranchised or the downtrodden. I knew one  who liked to repeat phrases such as "they have to stop keeping my  brothers down" but he didn't mean a word of it. He was actually a  racist. The psychopath can also often identify himself as a  revolutionary.
On the flip side, the psychopath also often paints a picture of  himself as the downcast anti-hero (his "own worst enemy type") and  some like to see themselves as lone-wolves. The psychopath may even  claim he is sensitive and profound, but inside he is nothing but  emptiness and greed. Whether or not the psychopath is aware of his  behaviour is something that is often debated. I do believe that  psychopaths usually know exactly what they are doing, although others  suggest that psychopaths are "born, not made." [1]
I believe that psychopathy is primarily genetic. A son with a  psychopathic father often will be psychopathic as well, especially if  the father was abusive and/or abandoned the family as well.
As mentioned, psychopaths often claim to settle for second best  (being their own worst enemy) and then think they deserve better.  This may be manifested in the way they seek power -- either through  money (i.e. material goods), manipulation and/or treating people as  objects. By enacting such behaviours, the psychopath is also trying  to "get back" at society and the world, in order to gain retribution.  They will spend their entire lives doing this, whether they are rich  or poor, or whatever their social background may be, although studies  have shown that they often come from an impoverished or lower socio- economic background and/or social status. (In one of Dr. Donald  Black's studies, many of the men were "overwhelmingly white, blue  collar, lower middle class, and married, and most had not graduated  from high school." [Black, 14]). (Let me add, despite Dr. Blacks'  studies, psychopaths can still exist in any social class. Do not be misled). I also wanted to point out that I will be using "he"  and "him" for the term psychopath throughout this website; let it not  be forgotten, yes, female psychopaths exist as well; however,  according to the Sixth Edition of Abnormal Behavior, printed in 2000  by three male professors, David, Derald, and Stanley Sue, the rates  do differ by gender. Included in their excellent text is a report by  the The American Psychiatric Association that the general estimate is  3% for men, and less than 1% in women [Personality Disorders and  Impulse Control Disorders, 238].
What is very disturbing about psychopaths, besides their sense of  special entitlement, is the complete lack of empathy for normal  people, for "antisocials (psychopaths) seem to lack a conscience,  feeling little or no empathy for the people whose lives they touch...the antisocial effortlessly resists all regulation, unable to  see beyond his self-interest or to adopt standards of right versus  wrong." [Black, XIII].
Not all psychopath are uneducated low-class misfits. Some of them are  quite handsome and have good careers, and use this all the more to  their benefit. Take a look at Ted Bundy; my friend's mother once went  on a double-date with him and claimed he was the nicest person. His  mother said he was the "best son any mother could have." Bundy was also apparently quite good-looking, which made him even more  dangerous. So not all psychopaths are derelict, low-class, high  school drop-outs, there are many who also work in professional  occupations; the fact remains that there are just more psychopaths who come from impoverished backgrounds than not.
Also, not all psychopaths are calm, cool, and collected. Some of them  appear strange or odd, and their behaviour can be eccentric or  unusual. I believe this is what can confuse victims most often.  Psychopaths often appear [see pictures here]: intense  and "electrifying". Do not be misled if someone appears  harmless, "foolish", or seems offbeat. An "angelic" visage can also  often fool people. Just picture John Wayne Gacy in his "clown  costume" as he entertained children as one example. Another example  which someone on the "Victims of Psychopathy" board came up with was  Bill Clinton and his "goofy" yet loveable demeanour (so is Clinton  really a psychopath? Many believe he is).
A psychopath (he was diagnosed anti-social) I knew used the harmless  cover-up quite well. Everyone thought he was very funny. I did too,  at first. Then, little by little, I realised there was something "not  right" about him. At first his seemingly harmless pranks were  charming, but after a while, he became more of a nuisance and  disrupted our work environment, which created havoc and tension  between employees. I've learned, a psychopath can use these disguises  for his own hidden purpose.Regardless of race, social class, or  occupation, however, the psychopath is dangerous to society, for "the nature of ASP (psychopathy) implies that it wreaks more havoc on  society than most other mental illnesses do, since the disorder  primarily involves reactions against the social environment that drag  other people into its destructive web...The despair and anxiety  wrought by antisocials (psychopaths) tragically affects families and  communities, leaving deep physical and emotional scars..." [Black, 5].
There is much to the psychopathic personality which is baffling and  disturbing. 1 in about 25-30 people are psychopathic (also known as  sociopaths or anti-social -- the correct title being psychopath.)  Since the majority or them are men, I wrote this site in part, to  warn women about the dangers, especially women online, which I  believe is a favourite "new medium" which appeals to psychopaths. I  have personal experience with this subject as well. This is  because "antisocials (psychopaths) are not just characters in our  fictional or true-life entertainments. They are family members,  friends, co-workers, neighbors, or strangers we may encounter every  day." [Black, 10]. Pamela Jayne, M.A., writes that "30% of men are  sociopathic." If about every three out of ten men I may meet are  psychopathic, I would assume this is not something to take lightly. According to these statistics, that would mean every three out of ten  men and maybe every one out of ten females. The truth is, we do not  really know exactly how many individuals are psychopathic; however,  there seems to be a rise in the prevalence of psychopathy and that is  why some claim that numbers are higher. Dr. Black claims that psychopathy leads right behind depression, along with schizophrenia  and borderline personality disorder, which is an astounding fact.


I am not sure I agree with his distribution of psychopaths by sex. All my experience is with women. But this is just my experience. Chasing skirts tends to give you a myopic sample.   

27 comments:

Judith said...

I'd never heard the assertion that Bill Clinton was a psychopath before -- I think he has a lot of flaws, but I don't see psychopathy. Trump, on the other hand, makes me think of the Martin Sheen's character in Stephen King's The Dead Zone

Five Hundred Pound Peep said...

Its interesting he considers it genetic....wonder if research is being done there. I think too many assume there's more male psychopaths, I think more of them get caught, and they ignore the female ones.

q1605 said...

Trump reminds me of the Martin Sheen character in the Dead Zone. Using the baby as a shield and starting a nuclear war to fulfill his destiny. Genetic? I really should read the stuff I steal before I post it.
I really should read the comments before I comment behind them I read your comment Judith and my brain registered Martin Short in Mars attacks. Maybe I am having a stroke. That or someone is burning toast.

Joan S said...

Are they even aware of it, a subject of debate. I think, and this is my very own opinion here, after being attached to one all my childhood, or shall we say life? Well, my opinion is that they are just used to it. I just had some cake and ice cream, and the horrible fact is I forgot I ate it, where did it go? Guess maybe I shouldn't have found a chocolate cake on sale, its been a constant in my life for the last week, not even paying attention to when I have some. I mean kind of like that. They are used to it.

And how do regular folk see psychopaths? They don't, for they are unfamiliar with the debauchery of such low levels of society. It only makes them feel sorry for them. But if we commit anything at all, we are called on it, for regular folk are used to that sin, seen it before in themselves, so they use some kind of projection and call you on it. Not sure if that was in the article or not, just wanted to say that.

And how come every psychopath is only called on it once they have committed a dozen or so murders? How come it takes that and only that to put them behind bars?

q1605 said...

There is the don't hate them for they know not what they do contingency. But I say if they don't know what they do is wrong, why do they lie about it?

q1605 said...

Yes Peep I don't know any other way to figure my mother out but bad genes. She was raised by a couple of the nicest people(my grandparents) that you could ever want to meet, yet she always drifted left of center. If there was assets she would grab them and pick a fight with the rightful owner and use that to withhold it from them. If it was strange men she would basically hump their legs like a dog all while keeping a watchful eye on her spouse. My father got a couple of fingers lopped off in a table saw and my mother said that's fingers he will never use to touch another woman again, like he was a serial cheater. When the only person who cheated enough to keep us perpetually in disarray was her. She called all women sluts while screwing every man in a 10 mile radius. She was continuously telling me I was so stupid that I would end up dead and robbed and lying in a ditch. The only person who ended up with that fate was the guy she set up to be robbed just before they loaded her victim into his car and parked him on the side of the road. She warned me of the depraved nature of my first wife all while forming the anti Q league with her and having the express purpose of stealing from me and sabotaging any and all efforts put forth by me in and all attempts by me to live a successful life. Her whole life was such a pathological projection fest it had to be genetic. They say people with under developed frontal lobes are notoriously with out empathy and are notorious people that are pathological in their insatiable need for the assets of others and in their willingness to stop at nothing to get it. So if an underdeveloped frontal lobe causes that it makes it easier to say it's genetic because I don't think you can consciously will your self to have brain function you were not born with and for you to will yourself to not have brain function you were not born with. So in that respect I see his point. My mothers pathology had to be from nature because the grandmother who nurtured and raised her also raised me........OK bad example! but you get my drift there snow white?

Five Hundred Pound Peep said...

Trump too reminds me of the guy in the Dead Zone. Scary stuff. Also think about this, he is named TRUMP like a freakin TRUMP CARD.

and the joke will be on the USA.

I think other people kiss the butts of psychopaths and they walk free until committing horrible crimes--well the ones who get caught anyhow...because too many people worship power and they find the power and control of psychopaths attractive. I sure don't but a lot of people do. This is why Trump may win. [Hillary is one too of course]

Five Hundred Pound Peep said...


There could be other sociopaths in the family one other family branch and your mother was the notorious bad seed. I think some families are narc/sociopath dominant like mine but then you do see on news and crimes shows where these perfectly good and nice people who never abused their kids or messed around, end up having these killing sociopaths, and everyone knew from the start the kid was "different" and often the parents blamed themselves and often learned to hide the real destruction of their child without a conscience. Maybe this is what happened with your grandparents, they didn't want to believe how bad she was, or held hope she would become a good person which led to many of the bad decisions.

Sounds like she projected on to your father when he lost the fingers to the table saw. She projected on you calling you stupid and that you would end up in a ditch. Weird she warned of your wife too, maybe takes one to know one I guess.

Some scientists believe that sociopathy is a brain disorder, they've done MRIs of the brain of sociopaths and seen the physical differences. I tend to think that the evil chosen probably changes the brain, and when the sociopath shuts down empathy enough times from an early age, that part of the brain dies and they can see it on the MRIs. I grapple with the idea that they are born that way and "can't help it". I don't see heaven setting them free. I think it is a combination of nature and genetics and a propensity, but at a certain point they choose to become what they are.

I don't think parents are always to blame for evil kids. I think some are born with something broken and they make their choice for the most evil part of their nature. In other words they don't fight it. Some of those researchers even have said men born with the warrior gene, some ended up non-violent and peaceful.

There's too many crying parents on crime shows where their kid ended up being a serial killer or murderer or evil and different from the start. I read a story in New York Times magazine where these parents knew their 9 year old was a sociopath. They didn't seem to be bad people. yeah you came out a non-sociopath raised by the same people.

q1605 said...

I have heard enough through the grapevine that I am pretty sure my mother is the lone freak. I know about her parents and her grandparents and it's mostly people I actually knew and met in person. That side of the family lived long lives. When you get beyond that I started to hear stories of people like my maternal Grandfather running away from home because of his father. I always entertained ideas of bailing and never coming back too. In my scenario it was more as a reminder to them that there is a kid underfoot and he is getting trampled to death. If I had known how horrible the end would become I would have followed through. I used to jump a train in town and ride it out to the lake. All I had to do was stay on it and I would have ended up far far away.

Five Hundred Pound Peep said...

One lone freak is better then multiple ones. With multiples you can't trust anyone. When my mother dies, the new sociopath sister if she survives all her cancer will rise to take her place. There are other narcs and sociopaths. One narc uncle has a sociopathic/narc daughter. It's obvious in her photos, the second I'm not sure about. The son became a university baseball star, and so his narcissistic supply quotient has risen and maybe he avoided scapegoat status. I could see a change on his face too.

My N sister won't be as interested I don't think in having anything to do with the prior family system but her kids and their children will pay if she lives long enough. She has a lower IQ then my mother, so she may not be able to do as much damage but she will try. She's married to a narc too so the kids will get it double. At least one has already gone down the path of narcdom. One can tell looking at photos. It's scary. I expect to see one sociopathic cousin in the newspaper, he's the one who is 30 and never has left home. A lot of people in my family lived like your mother did, maybe not murder, but running around, affairs, using people, other crossings of the line.

Maybe it came from your maternal grandfather's father. If things were bad enough for him to run away something wasn't right at home. I learned my maternal grandfather from the Aunt Scapegoat, beat them all, and hit them all the time. My mother never said anything. I guess I got the feeling she was one of the ones who never got hit. I got it from both sides. Aunt Confused openly abused and beaten by abusive husband in her parent's house and they did nothing. Cruelty is the default setting for my family. It has brought some of them a lot of success in this world. It wasn't just my parents telling me I was too sensitive or had too many "feelings", it was nearly all of them. The sociopathic cousin never said an actual word to me in his life just grunts. I remember being scared, he would not talk to me. He probably figured he didn't have to, since I was the scapegoat. He is a low functioning sociopath because where's his money and job? He may simply be one of those parasites who will only move on when the parents are gone and then finally get a woman to use or something like that.

I never wrote about this but it came back to me. I tried to run away at the age of 4-5. I loaded up the red wagon, put some food in it, and a doll and started walking. I made it around 6 blocks down the endless suburban housing complex and got scared, so went back. I wish I had kept walking. Maybe if I told the social workers I didn't remember my name and got far enough it would have been at least a foster care roulette wheel.

I would have run too if I know now what I do. I only went back from the first no contact because I was getting so sick and almost dying of lung problems, the weight gain came a bit later. I had illusions about a family "helping" a sick person. What a joke that was.

I guess I have "run away" at a very late date. LOL. I do wish I lived in a place where they didn't know where I lived. Maybe that will come soon, I'm not sure.

mulderfan said...

If you distinguish between psychopaths and narcissists, IMO when you're living on the "inside" like most ACoNs have, the women win hands down, even though they are less likely to be spotted by outsiders. Women tend to be the sneaky manipulative type of narc who catches you unaware while fucking up your life. Only in retrospect do many of us realize WTF was going on.
The way kids turn out seems to be a toss up which may be effected by the kind of experiences they had with extended family ir close friends. In early childhood, I was blessed with a loving aunt and uncle who got me to their place as often as they could. Partly because they knew what was going on and partly because, unlike my parents. they'd always wanted a daughter. This may explain why both of my brothers turned out to be complete whack jobs. One fucked over his own kids and the other did the world a favour by remaining childless.

q1605 said...

Y'know this process is such an evolution of convoluted thinking I don't know if I will ever get it completely stowed away. I work through it and work through it and some days it's hard to digest and I lived it. I will think about that no matter what we did and what we had going and how when things were good she would magically evanescence out of thin air and things would immediately go straight to the shitter and my after thought will be no bodies that good. Satan would have to stop and catch his breath. And Satan would occasionally strike out somewhere along the way. Then I have to stop and tell myself your mom destroyed your life and every bodies life that was in your family. It's not my imagination and it's not my catch all excuse for lack of success. She was just such an over achiever you don't want to believe it. That's what gets me about the apologists and the sugar coaters. If they want to give the personality disordered a pass go right ahead and tell yourself you family member wasn't evil and take one in the back again I, on the other hand am willing to give my mother the hate she worked to foster in us. She earned it. She worked for it. God knows she never held down a square job her whole life if she didn't want to leave a legacy of hate she shouldn't have been so bat shit crazy.

q1605 said...

Peep That's funny in 65 we moved to Lafayette Louisiana and I hated it so much I decided I was going back to live with my grandmother. So I packed some stuff into an I don't know what and took off on foot. Of course as I wound through town I realized that this was not going to be easy so I turned around and came back. The rest of our time living there I would point out places I had made it to before I turned back. My sister still talks about my parents freaking out about how far I got.

Joan S said...

That picture you put up explains it all. No more wondering, thank you.

Tundra Woman said...

I actually did get away. I wasn't quite 3 when I had my first ride in a cop car. They kept asking me my name and I kept saying, "Call me Honey." "OK Honey but what's your name?" "Honey." etc. This was on the opposite coast from where we lived during a straight outta hell cross country car trip. The adults didn't notice for a couple hours and then I was busted. Sigh.
TW

Five Hundred Pound Peep said...

The women are worse. Male sociopaths are pretty direct, while women work harder on faking the nice appearances. Everyone knew my father was a yelling brute with a bad temper but they didn't realize my mother was egging him on behind the scenes, probably enjoying the show as he lost it, and smacked us around. She would send us out to work in the yard with us which always meant cuffing across the face. She knew what she was doing. I wish you could have lived with that aunt and uncle. It was a big brouhaha when I asked to stay with the aunt who I lived with her for some months, my brother even told me last year. "Mom was pissed when you didn't want to come back". I said something along the lines, the woman hated me why not just leave me there?" Ah yes appearances.

Five Hundred Pound Peep said...

Yeah it is an on going process Q, yours always sent things down no matter what. I try to figure things out thinking, "Why does everyone else always die [aka Aunt Scapegoat, the Aunt that Loved Me, etc] and she comes out on top? I actually said to my brother in a heat of passion, when he told me Aunt Scapegoat died, "The wrong one died!" I am sure that was reported post haste. Why hoover someone you know hates our guts? I'm sitting here in poverty in a dead end life--still missing my old town, wondering why even some social stuff dried up here, trying to figure out what to with it. Even as I haul this body around with its lobes, extreme weight and other insanities--the last two days with a numb face and migraines, I feel this burning anger and think "What did you do to me?"

They work in tandem with Satan. No they aren't getting out the demonology books or drawing pentagrams on the floor though in my mother's case who knows....but they walk hand in hand with the devil, just going through their miserable lives, and he gives them ideas and seems to help them out quite a bit in achieving their "goals". Why has my sister and mother never failed in any of their plans for destruction? Why hasn't anyone else said ENOUGH! to my mother and joined my side?

The apologists and cowards make me sick. I realized talking to some of them right before I went NC, what chickens they all were. It was disgusting. I would say one mild thing and you'd think the world was going to end if they gave a response. Even Aunt Scapegoat told me when I was 21 that my mother was evil, but who did she follow? Not me. This is why I cut the whole spoiled shallow lot off.

Five Hundred Pound Peep said...


I wish you had gotten away Q. Maybe I will write about running away, it was a recent memory. I had forgotten how I did it. I remember they were so offended too, instead of asking why does our little kid want to risk traffic and hightailing it out. Sometimes by age 6 in that same neighborhood, I would just go disappear. She would flip out and make a show of it. These were the days kids could go out and wonder around but I guess mine wanted control.

I consider Louisiana the armpit of the universe. So understand you running away. LOL I wish you had gotten far far away. That's funny about how far you got. We lived in a weird housing development that was in the middle of nowhere, like this strange housing development that was not near any town, I still wonder about that place, its creepy. Back in 2001, I was back there, driving by my old house, and the place was still so far out it was never developed even 40 years later except for a country store IGA, the nearest town was 30 miles away. It was in the Wash DC/Baltimore metro area. I guess some people love to drive to work but if you are going to live that far out, why live in a housing complex where all the houses are within 10 feet of one another? We moved to another town in the same metro area when I was 7, there I lived across from my school and it wasn't isolated. That place was.

q1605 said...

If I/we get/got/away there would only be hell to pay later. I remember every time my mind headed in that direction. The thought of the consequences of my actions pull me back to reality. I would think if I think it's bad now just wait until I rock the boat. I would then be the identified patient. And the problem child. And my dad worked mostly construction so his insurance was for shit. So if I had actually cost them money it would be denying my mother her make up and car payments. No body interferes with her grooming aids and lives to tell about it.

q1605 said...

This is from Prince of Tides Women are more devious than men. You're great at hiding things. You keep secrets. You smile when you lie. You expect a man to be a tower of strength. When he's got a few weaknesses and insecurities, what do you do? You turn around, and goddamn it, you betray him!

q1605 said...

Yeah TW when I was about that age. I wandered off and my mother didn't miss me until I was a gone gator. They called the cops and a neighbor helped track me down I had wandered over to the rail road track and I still remember a train blaring down on me. But I don't think anything would have happened to her if it had hit me and chopped me up and scattered me in pieces down the tracks WHY? I am glad you asked I got two words why. Buh Gina!

Five Hundred Pound Peep said...

TW Oh if only....there was a possibolity you could have gotten away. Too bad the narcs didn't do you a favor and drive away. Probably didn't want to explain to the world how they lost their kid.

Good quote from the Prince of Tides. I used to always say I'd rather be in an argument with a man at least I knew what I was going to get. Probably the reason I didn't like female bosses so much.

Yeah q your mother would have put on the waterworks, no problem there...I wonder about those kids being "forgotten" in the hot cars a lot more now...:(

Joan S said...

I don't know if you can call the women way worse. We had a neighbour when we were growing up, he was in his 50's, very charismatic, all his girlfriends were in their 20's. Quite often the girlfriends would disappear, he said they moved back to the city. Rumors spread. Apparently there was a tunnel from his house to the river. He had a bad temper and one night busted into our house with a ball hammer, slapped my mother around, it was one of the few times she ever cried. He was trying to find his girlfriend who disappeared, she was there with us, she came to hide. She got away. From then on he and my mother were best friends, drank together all the time and partied.

q1605 said...

Jaysus Joan whats up with these people. The last year I was at my mothers house she had a convicted rapist living on her couch. I don't know the details but he did 17 years on a fifty year sentence before he paroled out. Even in Texas thery don't hand out 50 year sentences lightly, Her house butts up to an elementary school and he wasn't registered as a sex offender. So I did my civic duty after I went NC and sent a letter to the principle informing them of his proximity to their parking lot.
Peep don't ask me why but this all reminds me of a joke in one of the final issues of the National Lampoon. But here go's. We have good news and we have bad news. The bad news is that John Wayne Gacy escaped from prison, The good news is that Gary Coleman is missing.

Joan S said...

And mother might not like you, wellll, you might be cockeyed, you know that's the first sign of someone who is untrustworthy.

Well, that rapist might have gotten a bum sentence, it really wasn't fair. You know, like in the words of Whoopi Goldberg, "It wasn't a rape, rape. y'know." I think that Whoopi doesn't trust cockeyed people either.

q1605 said...

No Joan I was tripping out on all the pot I injected and was flashing back when I hacked the state crime records and hallucinated all that and inserted a criminal record by his name. That and the accrued brain damage from the heron I was smoking out of my hubbly-bubly.

q1605 said...

And if there was anybody in that house that was cock-eyed it was her. Our Roosters sang out cock a doodle do. And she said any cockle do. Joan we might have to work up an act.