Saturday, October 15, 2016

Pale Blue Dot

Image result for what does earth look like from the moon
“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”  Carl Sagan

6 comments:

Joan S said...

I often wonder how some people who have high status, high positions in life would go to the trouble of psychologically murdering another person, and that is their highest gain, they feel, they ever achieved. They feel so excited over what they did, and the glee is hardly ever hidden well enough.

q1605 said...

I wrote this about my ex in private e-mail so of someone has seen it before its me not you. But my typing is so shitty I have to economize.
I was also asking myself how my ex would feel if I or anybody else sucked up to her parents just long enough to get some hard earned long time coming inheritance. And then I thought she'll never know about having a parent coming * this close to going to the electric chair and then driving the other parent to suicide in a way I guess was making him punish us all. Because her family is normal. She saw a rift big enough and long enough to sail in and mirror my mother until they decided to join forces and fuck us all on the way out.And like what I said in the beginning I wouldn't do it if I could. She not only did it but I know her well enough that I am sure she gloated over it. If her mom had called me up with that song and dance Lisa would be the first person I called so I could tell her she needed to take her mother see doctor because something is not right. And I would of ...... the health of another person is more important than a little bit of money

q1605 said...

The question I posed that elicited the above e-mail to myself was this. It bears repeating and my typing sucks.************************************
So I was sitting here deluding my self into thinking somebody has to see my ex as the conniving piece of shit she really is with her grabbing up the farm money. And it hit me she tells so many lies about much lessor things she would just lie about this. No lie but conveniently leave it out.
She bought a boat with community property from what we accumulated during our marriage and parked it at her BF's.

She told my mother's neighbors that she told us our mother had died on the day of her death when in reality she waited until she was legally obligated to tell us because she was presenting the will for probate.

She bashed me in the head with a Mason Jar and called the cops and claimed I had tried to commit suicide knowing I had been taking an old prescription of pain med's from some dental work and would have an elevated level of narcotics in my blood. And that the gash in my head was from me falling down and hitting my head on the wall .
Then she let me languish for 72 hours under a psyche watch so she wouldn't get
charged with assault.
And around the age of 20 she beat the shit out of her mother and from what I can tell they all thought it was funny.

q1605 said...

I was also wondering if she will steal hundreds of thousands of dollars from people who suffered the tortures of the damned at the hands of your her found confederate? Where do her friends draw the line? Do you hide your jewelry in your safe if she is coming over? Do you hide the silverware?
Her best friend worked for me for a while and stole some checks and forged my signature and cashed them. Do you hide your cash but not your check book? What do you hide and what do you leave laying out? Because when it comes to theft neither of them had any impulse control. Even if they can rationalize it in their head on some bizarre level you/they know this is/was ill gotten gains. I wonder if she paid estate taxes on it and lied to the IRS? And if you realize she looted your house, how long is a narcs statute of limitations. An hour, a day, a week? A month? Or if you find out something she stole will she own up to it at all or will she go into that Narc denial they all go into. I caught her in bed with one of our neighbors. After I caught her racked up with this guy and she said it wasn't her and I said I was watching you I saw what you did. Prove it! was her answer to that. I moved my shit out and got my own apartment after that. But I couldn't watch her and my mother both at the same time. One would be stealing over here and as I closed in they would be stealing over there. I am just glad to be shed of all those cheap sluts and that includes my mother. The money we got off the farm wasn't worth it. My mother took assets that had been in our family since before the civil war and completely devalued them to the point it wasn't worth the trouble.

q1605 said...

I remember something from my divorce to my ex that really shows how malignant these people get if no one calls them on it. During our divorce an owner of one of the branches my ex worked for kept asking for bids on some remodeling. Every time I talked with him he would tell me how my ex was driving him nuts because I was on her health insurance from them. He said he has told her in every way possible that he can't drop me with out a divorce decree. So I was ALSO thinking about her 401K that I was giving up a hundred dollars a month to for years. She went to the broker long before our divorce was final and just told him how much he should give me and he just cut me a check based on what she thought was fair. And if you haven't caught on yet they think they deserve everything and other people deserve nothing. So he cut me a check for pennies on the dollar for what I actually paid. And just gave her what she wanted. By this time I was realizing it was much quicker to give her what she wanted than to have this bitch from hell dogging my every step.

q1605 said...

So the sun don't shine on the same dogs ass every day. Some one somewhere will beat her at her own game and she'll wither and die. But you didn't read that here. I pray daily for her safety because if she meets with foul play I will be the first and probably only suspect they look at.